Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Shakedown Cruise

I bought this dinghy from my neighbor on the dock in Richmond. Over the last year, I added a sailing rig with bits from a variety of sources. The sail is cut from heavy-duty polytarp and "sewn" with high-test duct tape, the spars are 2-inch dowels, the rudder came from a marine second-hand store. With a final push over the wekend involving buying and assembling a small trailer from a local chain store (they're not kidding when they say "allow six hours for assembly") it was time to head to the lake! Knowing this one would be a little rough, the family wisely chose to sit this one out. Instead I had my Aunt and Uncle along for moral support and to help with carrying the boat to the water when my dolly arrangement failed utterly. Once in the water, things went pretty well: the sail rig set in easily and wasn't too much in the way. We had a bit too much wind at first but it moderated to a "just right" breeze. I took her out under power (oars) before hauling the wind. Under sail, she handled herself nicely, even with the leech not nearly tight enough. The sheeting angle is a bit awkward, I need to add something on the stern quarters. Then there's the leeway: I was hoping that the external chines would provide enough lateral plane to at least bear cross-wind, but no such luck. She makes almost as much way to the side as forward. From this shake-down cruise there are a few minor new items on the to-do lists --- improvements to the trailer and the tie-down arrangements, tuning of the rig --- but most of all I will need to rig up a daggerboard or leeboard. But I had a blast, and was grinning ear-to-ear.

No comments: