Friday, June 26, 2015

Book Response: The Little Bookroom by Elanore Farjeon

Once in a while when you discover a new author, you think, How could I have been missing this one all these years?

A few weeks ago, as mentioned here, I participated in a short section of the Race to Alaska. Well, the winner was a team going by the name Elsie Piddock, which turns out to be the title character in a children's book by Eleanor Farjeon. Curious, I checked out library and found her book The Little Bookroom.

Well, let me tell you, I'm excited! This is a book-full of delights, short stories (some very short), all about children being children. Some fantasy, some realistic, all with great heart and respectful telling. Farjeon is a master in the genre, and would go well on a shelf with E. Nesbit.

Wonderful illustrations by Edward Ardizzone complement the stories. First published in 1955; pictured is a 2003 New York Review of Books edition.

No comments: