Tuesday, November 30, 2010

conversation via book

I've posted quite a few of my letters home, but I always admired the example of Hugh Lofting whose letters to his children from the war formed the beginning of his Dr. Dolittle books. So recently, after a couple false starts I sent home the story of Jack Crow and his friend Sara, hand-written, folded and stapled to form a small book. At the end I wrote that if it was liked, I would continue the story.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, both kids presented me with books of their own making! Here are scans of the covers, Daughter's:



and Son's:



At the end of hers, Daughter wrote "continued if you like it"!, so I'm very encouraged. This week I wrote the second Jack Crow adventure, adding illustrations this time because Daughter's effort convinced me of their importance, and you can read the whole thing (pdf):



Of course I wouldn't put myself in the same league with the great children's authors but maybe in some small way I've contributed to the storytelling tradition ....

No comments: